Reading the Bible in 1 Year

The Nation of Israel - Reading the Bible in 1 Year

Thursday, December 13, 2012

PITCHWARS



.

So this is me now - Van Dancing all over the place.

I've got a mentor! And, I'm thrilled!!! If you'd like to meet the incredibly wonderful and super talented Heather Marie!  Pop over to her blog or twitter and check her out over at The Secret Life of Writers.

I am so grateful that she picked me!!! as her mentee.

I don't usually enter contests. Don't know why. I just haven't done them - maybe because of time and the fear of putting myself out there. Who knows? But, whatever the reason, I just haven't done it in the past. And, I can tell you that on 12-12-12 I knew it was going to be a special day...maybe because I was having an End of the World party with my gfriends where we celebrated the End of Days with Margaritas, Munchies and Manicures. But, I had no idea I'd be picked as a mentee!!!

I knew that the teams were going to be posted at 8:00 a.m. EST - that's 5:00 a.m. West Coast time (or what I call "my time").

So, I went to sleep--no problem--but I popped up suddenly at 3:00 a.m.

"Hum," I looked at the clock and thought "the birds don't even get up this early" so I went back to bed.

I woke back up at 6:30 and ran to check my email. Nothing. So, I was sure I wasn't selected. But then I popped over to Brenda Drake's blog to see who the lucky winners were.

And WHOO-HOO! I found my name on the list. I couldn't believe it and had to look twice to be sure it wasn't a dream.

Now, Heather Marie is going to help me get ready for the January pitches. And, after "playing" in the PitchWars, which is what I felt like I was doing because I met so many wonderful writers that I think we all won in this contest (which was put on by the wise and wonderful Brenda Drake), now we move on to the hard work (perfecting our pitches and getting our queries shined up for the next step) the agent round! The agent round begins on January 20th! I know that day is just around the corner and I want to be ready and I'm willing to work hard to get my story prepared.

If you don't know about PitchWars, here's a little blurb about the next round:

 Note: The material for the agent round will be a 3 sentence pitch and the first 250 words of your manuscript. Coaches will read manuscripts and query letters only once and give notes. It is up to the writer to use the notes from their coaches to get the manuscript and query letter in as best shape as they can to send to requesting agents. The coaches will critique the three sentence pitch and first 250 words. The coaches will read them as many times as they deem necessary. In no way will writers expect the coaches to read the manuscript and query letter more than once or the pitches more than twice.
·        January 20: Coaches will submit shined pitches to the contest email.
·        January 23 and 24: Agents will read and make requests on the pitches they like (it is likely that not all participants will get requests).
·        January 25: We'll announce the team with the most requests and who will take home the winning prizes (an amazon gift card for each).

I'm hoping you readers will be there to support me in this journey through the path toward publication! I can use all the cyber-hand holding I can get. 

7 comments:

Robyn said...

Well done and congratulations!

Terrific summation of the contest as well.

I was a case priving you done' have to win, to win. I feel as it I won! :)

Anonymous said...

Congratulations, Kim! Is that you in the pink "bikini"?

Kimbra Kasch said...

Robyn: It's so much fun to find other people who have the same interests, goals, etc. I feel like this is the best part of the PitchWars :D

Anonymous: Oh Lordy NO! I am too old and too fat to put a picture of myself in a bikini on any blog - ha! But thanks for that vote of confidence ;D With that positive attitude, I'm hoping you'll hang around during the Agent Pitch round :D

Anonymous said...

Congratulations!
And now I have "van dancing" burned into my retinas;)

Kimbra Kasch said...

GG: I know it's like it blazes a place in your brain...

Janet Smart said...

Congratulations! I often enter contests and have won books before, but never a pitch evaluation. I'd love to win a critique!

Kimbra Kasch said...

Thanks Janet. I haven't been in-to contests either but this proves they are worth it! :D