Reading the Bible in 1 Year

The Nation of Israel - Reading the Bible in 1 Year

Monday, October 14, 2019

Jack Skellington inspired Halloween Project


Have you ever wanted to decorate for the holidays? Well, I always want to do something spectacular but somehow time always seems to get away from me and I have to settle for whatever I can do at the last minute.

Like this year, I wanted to have a Jack Skellington inspired ghoul in my yard by October 1st for all the neighborhood kids to enjoy... but, like I said, time slipped away too fast and by the middle of October I was suddenly aware that the month would be over in a flash. So I  recruited my sons and husband to help me out. And with their help, my Jack  was up and "grinning" at the neighborhood in no time. Well...maybe I should say grimacing over the neighborhood ;D

Anyway, here are a few photos of the process.

The guys started with a sketch of what they were going to do. Then they went to work building the "bones" of the figure out of 2 X 4's.

Once they had the basic structure put together, I went to work painting.

After all the wood was painted a dark gray, Jacob put the head on the top (which was over 15 feet in the air) and then I started dressing him in a thin sheet of black (weed barrier) cloth. The reason I used this was because water will run through the fabric without weighing the character down. This is an important piece of the project in Portland, Oregon. But before I got all his clothes on, Jacob had to light him up.





Jacob put one large red light bulb inside Jack's skull and hid the wire and the bulb (with a little work).


Then Jacob had to help me get his shirt on because, like I said, my Jack is super tallllllll. But even  after all that he still wasn't finished.


Next, I had to make his hands and get those attached. I wanted his fingers really loooooong and creepy...like spider legs. So with the help of duct tape (that miracle material) I think I did it. The only problem is that the guys think his fingers are too long (what do you think?)
I also strung together a few skulls for Jack to carry back to his lair and then I laid out some bones in the yard around Jack's feet.

All-in-all, this was a very fun family project to kick the holiday season into gear. 

Now to finish my witch....Mwah-ha-ha! But, before I go, I just want to wish all the ghouls and goblins out there a....

HAPPY HALLOWEEN!

4 comments:

David Batista said...

Looks great, Kim. This is just too awesome for words! You really outdid yourself this time. It's an amazing "scarecrow," to say the least. And I can't believe you can still gather up the boys to help you out with these creative endeavors. They seem like such good sports about it!

I have to say, seeing this post has put me in the Halloween mood!

Kimbra Kasch said...

David, thanks so much :) I love decorating for the holidays and Halloween is always so much fun the family has been helping me with it for years. Kids stop by and stare...we all love it 😊

Unknown said...

That is SO cool! Way to make your neighborhood a more creative place to visit!

Kimbra Kasch said...

Thanks!