Monday, April 25, 2011

Cake Challenge


I wanted to get a new cake pan. My husband didn't. He said, "The cake boss carves his cakes, you can do it too."

We disagreed.

I said I'll bake one cake using my new pans and you can carve one. It will be a cake challenge. So here's how I did it my way.

I baked the cake(s), two sides, front and back. Then I trimmed the bottom so it would stand up, and trimmed the excess where the two sides came together.

Then I started icing the cake(s) with simple yellow icing (just 2 pounds of powdered sugar, one cube of butter, and 1/4 cup milk (a little yellow food coloring). Super simple.

I used fondant for the eyes and painted the orange beak with a little orange frosting - just added red food coloring to the left over yellow frosting.

After it was all done, I decorated the platter with Easter Basket grass and eggs.

I think it turned out cute. And, he was a great addition to the Easter table.
And the kids liked cutting off his head and eating him
Here's how my husband did his...he didn't even try. It was a total no-show at the challenge. He wouldn't even compete. Not fair.

Next time maybe he won't argue with me when I want to buy a new pan :)

Next time I'll use decorating cake tips to pipe the frosting feathers. I ran out of time this weekend. And, I think this would be a great graduation cake for my son, Luke. He's a University of Oregon Duck! Go DUCKS!!!

4 comments:

Adrienne said...

How cute! I think a duck cake would be perfect for plenty of occasions.

I'm a little disappointed we didn't get to see an entry from your husband...

Kim Kasch said...

Adrienne: Me too. I wanted to be like the duck - but laugh my head off ;)

Rena said...

LOL @ him not even trying. How funny is that. And your cake turned out adorable!

suchi said...

An informative blog covering the Auto Industry on all aspects including car reviews.


Auto dealer management