Reading the Bible in 1 Year

The Nation of Israel - Reading the Bible in 1 Year

Friday, November 5, 2010

Interview with a Vampire - Book Talk

I know it's an old book that was even made into a movie in 1994 but I didn't like the movie. I know, Brad Pitt and Tom Cruise, what's not to like? Right? Well, for me, it was just too slow for a vampire story.

But the book is an entirely different thing. Interview with a Vampire written in 1973 by Anne Rice is a well-written story.

I picked it up at a bookstore in Seattle, when I was waiting for my husband to get out of a meeting. And, after a few pages, I couldn't put it down.

I was curious what so many people found interesting, especially since I didn't enjoy the movie. Well, I found out why it was such a phenomena. It is an interesting story.

So, if you're a fanpire like me, and you haven't already read this novel, you might want to pick it up and give it another chance.

If you do read the story, let me know what you think.

5 comments:

Jen on the Edge said...

I used to love all those Anne Rice books. The first one was excellent, no question about it. However, the movie was absolutely terrible, which I knew it would be as soon as I heard that they'd cast Tom Cruise to play Lestat. Even Anne was pretty scathing in her reviews and I believe that less-than-stellar casting convinced her to never allow her books to be made into movies again.

David Batista said...

Well, another movie *was* made -- "The Queen of the Damned", based on the 3rd book in this series. So I don't think Rice had much say in the matter. The options were already sold on her books. Also, after actually seeing Cruise's performance, she very publicly retracted her criticism and praised him for his portrayal. And I have to admit, he pulled it off very convincingly. I actually *loved* Tom Cruise as Lestat!

Kim, I have to confess, I'm a huge fan of Rice's Vampire Chronicles books! Particularly the first 5, with "The Vampire Lestat" being my all-time favorite. I saw the Neil Jordan movie first in 1994 like you. It quickly became one of my favorite films back then. And then I found the book lying about on my college campus in 1998. I picked it up expecting only to read the first few pages, and ended up breezing through the entire novel in 2 day's time.

To be honest, I like her vampires much better than any of this other crap out there these days. She's the Queen Mother of that sub-genre, I'm afraid. All the others who came after her owe her a huge debt.

Please read the 2nd book, "The Vampire Lestat." Unless I'm mistaken, you should enjoy it. Especially if, like me, you find Lestat a more interesting character than Louis.

Anonymous said...

My favorite part about the books was all the history and stuff about New Orleans. But her witch series did it better.

Kimbra Kasch said...

David: I hated the movie Queen of the Damned - another book I never read because of the movie. But...now maybe I'll give the series another shot.

Jen: I knew she had to be famous for a reason - I just couldn't tell what it was from the movies. But, then again, she is a writer not an actor ;)

Kimbra Kasch said...

GG: I love the historical movie stuff too ;)