Tuesday, November 15, 2011
I'm a total NUTcase
Even though these nuts might look like alien seed pods
Pistachios are a Holiday Harbinger, at least in my house:
Every year, as fall rolls around, I pull out the nut bowl and fill it full...over and over again. I love to see pistachios hanging around the house (especially during the holidays) for a couple of reasons:
1) The FDA claims that if you eat pistachios you'll probably have a healthier heart. Here's their official statement:
"Scientific evidence suggests but does not prove that eating 1.5 ounces per day of most nuts, such as pistachios, as part of a diet low in saturated fat and cholesterol may reduce the risk of heart disease..."
2) Pistachios contain something called phytosterols which fight cholesterol.
3) Pistachios have almost 90% unsaturated fat, or "the good stuff". So, next time you're craving a fat-filled snack (like potato chips or french fries) choose nuts instead--especially if they are pistachios.
4) Pistachios are packed full of different antioxidants, which support your heart and body.
5) Pistachios are a delicious way to eat dietary fiber and they're a naturally nutritious snack.
6) Researchers at Loma Linda University performed studies that found that, despite the fact that nuts contain fat, they didn't cause an increase in body weight.
So go a little nuts these holidays - maybe you'll end up a lot healthier.
And please share a little bit of your own holiday spirit by telling me what food can be found around your house at the holidays. I'm hoping it will give me a little "new" foodilicious inspiration.