Reading the Bible in 1 Year

The Nation of Israel - Reading the Bible in 1 Year

Thursday, February 6, 2014

POT PIE


Sometimes it's hard to come up with new things to fix for dinner but I was thinking about those little store-bought potpies and I wanted to try to make one.

I didn't pull up a recipe off the internet or even look at a picture. And this picture is really pretty - mine didn't turn out so perfect but I'm going to keep trying. It's simple enough to make.

I also like to use what I have on hand. In the freezer I had a boxed package of pie dough.

So, I figured, "why not?" and I lined my baking stone pie pan and started to fill it with ingredients.

I started with some left over rice then I topped it with carrots (cut into cubes).
I added some left over pork, chopped dates and apples...
Some green beans
Then I topped it with a few dabs of sour cream.
Then I put a crust on top.

Then I baked the pie at 400 degrees for about 40-50 minutes.

In the last couple of minutes I poured about 3 tablespoons of melted butter over the top to give it a browning agent.

I thought the pie was pretty good but it was a bit dry. My son didn't like the rice in the pie. He said it wasn't what he expected when he cut into the pie.

So I had to try again last night. This time I added mashed potatoes and a couple cans of cream of celery soup instead of rice. It was much better.

But this is a quick easy dinner and it was different than the regular rice and chicken or rice and pork.






4 comments:

David Batista said...

Interesting recipe. I love your adventurous ways! :) Jake's expression is priceless though, and really says it all. What did he think of your second attempt? That one does sound rather more savory.

Kimbra Kasch said...

He liked the second one MUCH better. He said rice was just WRONG. My "kids" are sooooo picky. ;D I just laugh when they don't like something. They say they don't like being guinea pigs ... but you never see them not eating ;D

Anonymous said...

That face!

Rena Jones said...

Love this face! LOL! At least he was willing to give it another try. I love pot pies, but I've never tried to make my own.