READING THE BIBLE IN 1 YEAR: Learn lessons about Kindness

Generosity and Divorce are themes as we Read the Bible this year

READING THE BIBLE IN 1 YEAR: Deuteronomy 22

Reading the Bible in 1 Year: History of the Children of Israel

The Nation of Israel - Reading the Bible in 1 Year

Sunday, February 3, 2013

All That Glitters

All that glitters isn't always gold. At least in my book, glittering gold isn't always the best.

Of course I grew up a tomgirl...yeah a tomboy but what the heck, I wasn't a boy. I just liked to wrestle, climb trees and play almost every sport. I was never "into" purses, jewelry or fancy clothes and it's a good thing because my parents couldn't afford them. I was more into basketball, tennis, and track...

I wanted to run not try to balance on high heels. I wanted to climb not curl my hair. My mom was a beautician and she was always styling my hair, which I would pull down out of it's fancy "waterfall" style, when she wasn't looking, and let it get tangled.

Guess that's why I still only have one pair of high heels and they aren't even that "high" and when my husband buys me jewelry I kind of sigh and say, "do you want me to put that on?" I hate changing jewelry and I almost never wear earrings.

BUT when my husband brought home this funny aluminum "coin" he found when he was out jogging on a business trip, I said, "wow. That's really cool."

The next thing I knew, he was drilling a hole in the scrap metal and making me a necklace.

And isn't this necklace cool?You can even see it from a distance.

So, I guess I'm a cheap date...or at least a cheap wife. I don't ask for diamonds and pearls. I like scrap metal and salvaged aluminum.

Here's how he did it.

He drilled the hole in the metal.

Then he engraved "Kim and Lars - 30" (because this is the 30th year we've been married).



 Then he clamped on an "OH" ring through the hole and inserted a chain to make it a necklace.
 The "OH" ring only cost $1.99 for about 50 of them and the chain was $2.99. So, it was less than $5.00 for the entire necklace.

I think it turned out super cool and I love this piece of jewelry just as much as most of my other pieces. (I do have some sentimental pieces, like my Mom's wedding ring, etc. that mean a lot to me but this is so cool because he made it for me.)



3 comments:

Jen on the Edge said...

What a neat necklace. It's unique and has a great story to go with it.

Anonymous said...

Plus he made it--that is just cool.

The Happy Whisk said...

Very good post. I'm with you on the jewelry. I don't fancy diamonds or any of that. It's a waste of money.

Even flowers are a waste, but I like when Tim buys me bulbs for the garden.

That's just fun.