Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Movie Review - Les Miserables

Okay, we all know the story. It's sad so I'm not sure it's really a holiday show. But, then again, it's a musical. And, except for Sweeney Todd musicals are all generally family shows...right?

Well, I think this one was beautifully acted, the songs were moving and although a few of the actors had to strain their talents to be musical, I think they all did a good job.

I especially loved Anne Hathaway's performance. She was awesome. Of course Hugh Jackman and Russell Crowe weren't bad and what a cast!

The real problem with this show is that it is just so loooooong. I have trouble sitting still for that much time. I think shows that are over two hours should have intermissions. Just so we can stand up, go to the restroom, stretch or whatever. I'm not ADHD or anything but over 2 and 1/2 hours is a serious time commitment.

I would still recommend the show but would downgrade it for the length and no intermission. That might just be me though.

So, I'd give the show Les Miserables a:

How 'bout you? Have you seen it? What did you think? What would you rate it?


Green Girl in Wisconsin said...

I've only seen this live, but in theater you get an intermission. Maybe that's the difference? I want to see the movie, though.

Kim Kasch said...

GG: It's definitely worth seeing. It's just that they did 40 minutes of previews and then a 2 hour and 37 minute movie - so, we're talking sitting still for over 3 hours...after drinking soda pop. Impossible! At least it's impossible for this old lady bladder (remember I've had 3 kids.)

Rena and Denny said...

My daughter wants to see it. She actually read the book! Have you ever seen that thing? It's humongous.

Jenn @ Juggling Life said...

I'd actually have to say, "A" and I wasn't necessarily expecting to like it that much. I am ready for a 90 minute movie as I've seen DJango Unchained, Les Mis and Zero Dark Thirty all in the past week.

Kim Kasch said...

J@JL: It's hard for me to give an "A". Then there's nothing left if something better comes along. Plus...I really had to use the restroom :(